24 SEP 2017 | SUN | 8:00PM
This event is part of the Complete Cycle of Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas
Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major, Op. 109
Piano Sonata No. 31 in A-flat major, Op. 110
Piano Sonata No. 32 in C minor, Op. 111
As a farewell to the genre, Beethoven’s last three piano sonatas (Opp. 109, 110 and 111) are the most radical among his piano oeuvre, in terms of formal strategy and pianistic texture. The concentrated juxtapositions of contrasting tempi give a novel experience of time. Variations and contrapuntal devices become crucial means to drive musical motion and build dramatic tension. Taking textural density and complexity to a new level, Beethoven opened up an entirely new sonic palette for the piano.
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
Book 3-5 concerts – save 20%
Book 6-7 concerts – save 30%
Book 8 concerts – save 40%
- HKU Discounts: Students $50 | Staff 15% off (Valid HKU student / staff card required upon purchase at URBTIX outlets and entry to venue
- Concession tickets are also available
- Discounts cannot be combined.
- For ages 6+
- Approximately 1.5 hours with an intermission
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually.
- No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.