23 SEP 2017 | SAT | 8PM
This event is part of the Complete Cycle of Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas
Piano Sonata No. 22 in F major, Op. 54
Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor, Op. 57, ‘Appassionata’
Piano Sonata No. 24 in F-sharp major, Op. 78
Piano Sonata No. 25 in G major, Op. 79
Piano Sonata No. 26 in E-flat major, Op. 81a, ‘Les adieux’
Composed of two contrasting themes and two contrasting movements, Op. 54 is dubbed by Richard Rosenberg as ‘The Beauty and the Beast’ (La Belle et la Bête). The rhythmic energy of its finale is intensified in the ‘Appassionata’ Sonata, where Beethoven’s tragic passion is violently unleashed. Opp. 78, 79 and 81a were composed in 1809, when many of Beethoven’s friends and patrons had left Vienna because of French occupation. The three movements of ‘Les adieux’ (Op. 81a) represents the sequence of ‘farewell-absence-reunion’, mourning Archduke Rudolph’s departure from Vienna and celebrating his return.
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
Book 3-5 concerts – save 20%
Book 6-7 concerts – save 30%
Book 8 concerts – save 40%
- HKU Discounts: Students $50 | Staff 15% off (Valid HKU student / staff card required upon purchase at URBTIX outlets and entry to venue
- Concession tickets are also available
- Discounts cannot be combined.
- For ages 6+
- Approximately 1.5 hours with an intermission
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually.
- No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.