22 SEP 2017 | FRI | 8PM
This event is part of the Complete Cycle of Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas
Piano Sonata No. 17 in D minor, Op. 31, No. 2, ‘Tempest’
Piano Sonata No. 18 in E-flat major, Op. 31, No. 3, ‘The Hunt’
Piano Sonata No. 19 in G minor, Op. 49, No. 1
Piano Sonata No. 20 in G major, Op. 49, No. 2
Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major, Op. 53, ‘Waldstein’
It may be hard to draw a point-to-point parallelism between Shakespeare’s play with the so-called ‘Tempest’ Sonata (Op. 31 No. 2), but it is not difficult to hear the play’s tragic drama, beautiful romance and wondrous magic in the sonata. In the third piece of Op. 31, Beethoven’s sense of humour returns with a shade of darkness. The two sonatas of Op. 49, in two movements each, display beauty in simplicity, contrasting with the splendid sublimity of the ‘Waldstein’ Sonata (Op. 53).
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
Book 3-5 concerts – save 20%
Book 6-7 concerts – save 30%
Book 8 concerts – save 40%
- HKU Discounts: Students $50 | Staff 15% off (Valid HKU student / staff card required upon purchase at URBTIX outlets and entry to venue
- Concession tickets are also available
- Discounts cannot be combined.
- For ages 6+
- Approximately 1.5 hours with an intermission
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually.
- No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.