27 APR 2019 | SAT | 8PM
This event is part of Rondeau’s MUSE Artist-in-Residence programme
BACH Prelude from Partita in C minor, BWV 997
BACH Fantasia in C minor, BWV 906
SCARLATTI Sonata in C major, K. 132 – Cantabile
SCARLATTI Sonata in A minor, K. 175 – Allegro
SCARLATTI Sonata in A major, K. 208 – Adagio
SCARLATTI Sonata in D major, K. 119 – Allegro
BACH Chaconne in D minor from Violin Partita No. 2, BWV 1004 (arr. for keyboard left hand by Johannes Brahms)
RONDEAU Piano improvisations on BWV 997, K. 132, K. 208, and a fandango
French harpsichordist Jean Rondeau returns to Hong Kong to present an ambitious dialogue on Bach’s and Scarlatti’s works. With a harpsichord and a piano present on stage, Rondeau will first unveil a selection of the two composers’ works on the harpsichord, before proceeding to the modern piano to show off his virtuosic improvisations on the same tunes. Through his use of the Baroque period’s improvisatory performance style in a modern setting, Rondeau will reveal his secret blend of musical antiquity and modernity.
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
$220 single concert
$350 both concerts – see details of Jean Rondeau’s Jazz Piano Trio Cabane!
- Tickets at URBTIX starting 14 Feb at 10am
- HKU Discounts: Students $50 | Staff 15% off (Valid HKU student / staff card required upon purchase at URBTIX outlets and entry to venue)
- Be a MUSE members 10% off
- Full-time students, citizens aged 60 or above & people with disabilities 50% off
- Le French May members 10% off
- Discounts cannot be combined
Scarlatti - Sonata in A minor, K.175
- For ages 8+
- Approximately 75 minutes without intermission
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually.
- No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.