8 OCT 2021 | FRI | 8PM
One of the greatest figures of 20th century music, the French composer Olivier Messiaen wrote and premiered his Quartet for the End of Time inside a Nazi prison camp in the bleak winter of 1941. Messiaen drew inspiration from the tenth chapter of Revelation, as a point of departure for his composition. A devout Catholic, an enthusiastic ornithologist, and a rhythmician, Messiaen created a unique language that integrated birdsong, church modes, ancient Greek and Hindu rhythms, and religious and mystical symbolism. At the Quartet’s 80th anniversary, renowned pianist and music educator Nancy Loo will share the stage with Kitty Cheung (violin), Linus Fung (clarinet), and Eric Yip (cello) to perform this monumental work. This memorable year also marks the 40th anniversary of the HKU Department of Music. To celebrate these milestones, the musicians will premiere a Messiaen-inspired new work by Dr. Joshua Chan of the Music Department.
JOSHUA CHAN Fiery Rustles of Rain
(World Premiere – written for the 40th Anniversary of the Department of Music, HKU)
OLIVIER MESSIAEN Quartet for the End of Time
張文蕊 / 小提琴 Kitty Cheung, violin
馮逸山 / 單簧管 Linus Fung, clarinet
葉俊禧 / 大提琴 Eric Yip, cello
羅乃新 / 鋼琴 Nancy Loo, piano
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
- For ages 12+
- $20 (admin fee)
- Tickets at art-mate.net
- Patrons under the age of 12 will not be admitted.
- The programme is approximately 1 hour without intermission.
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually. No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- Please show the QR code in your confirmation email for admission.
- Due to social distancing requirements, some seats in the Grand Hall will be left empty. Please only take your assigned seat as stated on the ticket.
- A temperature check will be conducted upon entry. Anyone with fever or respiratory symptoms should seek medical advice and will not be admitted.
- Hand sanitising stations are available at the foyer.
- Guests are required to wear masks throughout the event.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.