21 SEP 2018 | FRI | 7:30PM
This event is part of the Complete Well-Tempered Clavier project
J.S. BACH The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I
A truly compelling work whose historical significance is often compared to the composer’s Goldberg Variations, The Well-Tempered Clavier has laid the backbone of classical chromaticism, revealing the full-colour spectrum of all the 24 keys. Various schools of composers have religiously studied and drawn inspiration from the preludes and fugues, so have generations of keyboardists who performed and recorded the set. Amongst them is Canadian pianist Angela Hewitt, described by Gramophone as “today’s finest exponent of Bach’s keyboard music”.
Four years after her heralded recital at HKU, Hewitt is returning in Fall 2018 to present the COMPLETE Well-Tempered Clavier. In two concerts, she will perform these 48 most sophisticated preludes and fugues with her signature clarity and dexterity for the Hong Kong audience.
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
$280 single concert
$400 both concerts – see details of Book II
- Tickets at URBTIX starting 18 July
- HKU Discounts: Students $50 | Staff 15% off (Valid HKU student / staff card required upon purchase at URBTIX outlets and entry to venue)
- Be a MUSE members 10% off
- Full-time students, citizens aged 60 or above & people with disabilities 50% off
- Discounts cannot be combined
- For ages 8+
- Approximately 2.5 hours with an intermission
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually.
- No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.