25 JAN 2019 | FRI | 8PM
This event is part of Schubert’s Song Cycles with Ian Bostridge & Saskia Giorgini
SCHUBERT Die schöne Müllerin
Regarded as one of Schubert’s most important and most admired works, Die schöne Müllerin is the earliest extended song cycle to be widely performed. This seminal work depicts a young journeyman wandering in the countryside. He falls in love with a beautiful young maiden, only to find himself the victim of unreciprocated love, and decides to end his life out of despair and heartbreak. Set to poems by Wilhelm Müller, the collection consists of 20 songs, with the mood gradually evolving from cheerful optimism to despair and eventual tragedy.
Ian Bostridge won Gramophone magazine’s Solo Vocal Award with his Die schöne Müllerin album. The English tenor will take us through the psychological drama in Schubert’s music with his sensational and deeply emotive singing.
Ian Bostridge, tenor
Saskia Giogini, piano
Music in Words with Ian Bostridge
Moderator: Prof. Daniel Chua, Chairperson, Department of Music, HKU
24 JAN 2019 | THU | 7PM
Rehearsal Room, LG1/F, Run Run Shaw Tower, HKU
FREE via online registration
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
$280 single concert
$400 both concerts – see details of Winterreise
- Tickets at URBTIX starting 27 Nov at 10am
- HKU Discounts: Students $50 | Staff 15% off (Valid HKU student / staff card required upon purchase at URBTIX outlets and entry to venue)
- Be a MUSE members 10% off
- Full-time students, citizens aged 60 or above & people with disabilities 50% off
- Discounts cannot be combined
LATECOMERS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED and will miss the entire performance as a result – please plan to arrive early!
- For ages 8+
- Approximately 1 hour without intermission
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.
- LATECOMERS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED and will miss the entire performance as a result – please plan to arrive early!