16 SEP 2023 | SAT | 8PM
Sonata for Solo Cello
String Quartet No. 2
György Ligeti (1923-2006) was one of the most celebrated avant-garde composers in the latter half of the 20th century. On the occasion of Ligeti’s centenary, we present four of his chamber gems: Sonata for Solo Cello (1948/1953) is a Hungarian diptych that combines love-struck lyricism with whimsical virtuosity; Musica ricercata (1951-1953) and String Quartet No. 2 (1968) represent the master’s penchant to deny tradition and yet allowing it to be acknowledged through hints and allusions; the miniature tour-de-force Continuum (1968) exploits the dexterity of the harpsichordist and the technical possibilities of the instrument to the fullest. Hong Kong’s own harpsichordist Stephen Hung, pianist Rachel Cheung, cellist Pun Chak-yin, and Cong Quartet will join forces in bringing these masterpieces to HKU MUSE audience, with select clips of Ligeti’s own words as atmospheric interludes.
利蓋蒂（1923-2006）是二十世紀後期最受觸目的前衛作曲家之一。為紀念其誕辰一百周年，繆思樂季精心策劃了一場利蓋蒂音樂盛宴，邀請本地音樂家熊韋皓（古鍵琴）、張緯晴（鋼琴）、潘澤然（大提琴），和CONG 四重奏為觀眾帶來精選室樂作品。難得的曲目包括糅合浪漫深情與炫目技巧的《無伴奏大提琴奏鳴曲》(1948/1953)；顛覆傳統之餘，亦不乏經典隱喻的《音樂探索 》(1951-1953) 和《第二號弦樂四重奏》(1968)；更有巔 峰造極的《無窮動 》(1968)。這為古鍵琴而作的小品，讓樂手盡情發揮靈活技藝，探索樂器的無限可能。音樂會中，利蓋蒂的名言更會穿插於音符之間，讓音樂和文字交織互動。
Stephen Hung, harpsichord
Rachel Cheung, piano
Pun Chak-yin, cello
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
- For ages 10+
- Tickets at art-mate.net starting 20 JUL noon
2023/24 Fall Season Package Discount
Not applicable to events at $20 (admin fee)
- Save 10% for booking of 2 concerts
- Save 15% for booking of 3 or more concerts
- Full-time students, citizens aged 60 or above & people with disabilities 50% off
- For purchase of each concessionary ticket for people with disabilities, the customer can purchase one ticket at the same concessionary rate for a minder
- With limited quota. Discounts cannot be combined
- Patrons under the age of 10 will not be admitted.
- The programme is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes without intermission.
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually. No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.
- The presenter reserves the right to make final decisions on seating arrangement, to deny entry, and reserve all rights of final arbitration in case of dispute.