24 FEB 2023 | FRI | 8PM
Piano Sonata No. 7 in E-flat major, D. 568
Piano Sonata No. 14 in A minor, D. 784
Piano Sonata No. 17 in D major, D. 850
“Schubert’s completed piano sonatas take us on a unique and heart-wrenching journey through the last 12 years of his life. From the charming lyricism of the early sonatas to the transcendent creativity of the late masterpieces, via harrowing moments of despair as his health started to decline. His sonatas express with directness and sincerity some of the most fundamental elements of human experience—longing, consolation, despair, joy, loss, nostalgia, and hope. In our time, his music is as essential and poignant as ever.” —Paul Lewis
British pianist Paul Lewis is “one of today’s finest exponents of Schubert, noted for his clarity of tone and simplicity of interpretation” (The New York Times). After the highly acclaimed recital in 2019, he returns to HKU MUSE with a set of 11 completed sonatas, along with the unfinished yet celebrated ‘Reliquie’ sonata (D. 840), in 4 concerts across 2 seasons. Join us and begin this incredible Schubertian journey!
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
$350, 250, 150
- For ages 10+
- Tickets at art-mate.net starting 5 JAN noon
‘MUSE at 10’ Package Discount
- Save 10% with Early Bird code MUSEat10 (valid until 30 JAN 6PM)
- Save 20% for booking of 3-4 concerts
- Save 30% for booking of 5-7 concerts
- Save 40% for booking of 8 or more concerts
- Full-time students, citizens aged 60 or above & people with disabilities 50% off
- For purchase of each concessionary ticket for people with disabilities, the customer can purchase one ticket at the same concessionary rate for a minder
- HKU Student Discount: $50*
- With limited quota. Discounts cannot be combined
* $250 & 150 categories only.
Maximum 2 tickets per transaction. Available to current HKU students only. HKU ID required upon purchase and must be presented for entry.
- Patrons under the age of 10 will not be admitted.
- The programme is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes with an intermission.
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually. No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- The presenter reserves the right to make final decisions on seating arrangement.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.
- A temperature check will be conducted upon entry. Anyone with fever or respiratory symptoms should seek medical advice and will not be admitted.
- Guests are required to wear masks throughout the event.
- Due to social distancing requirements, some seats in the venue will be left empty. Please only take your assigned seat as stated on the ticket.
- The presenter reserves the right to deny entry or to require anyone to leave if the above-mentioned instructions have not been observed, and reserve all rights of final arbitration in case of dispute.