10 NOV 2019 | SUN | 3PM
Paul Lewis’ performances have been described as “exquisite”, “extraordinary”, and “masterly” (The Independent). Having won three Gramophone awards, Lewis’ recordings of works by Beethoven and Schubert have received international acclaim, reaffirming his reputation as one of the greatest interpreters of the classical repertoire.
In this Hong Kong recital, Paul Lewis will present two significant piano works, both written during the composers’ final years. Schubert’s Piano Sonata in G major, praised by Schumann as the “most perfect in form and conception”, is the last one published for the genre in Schubert’s lifetime. Beethoven’s Diabelli Variations, the last piano work to be completed by the composer, is full of invention and humour, and is regarded as one of the greatest sets of keyboard variations ever written.
Music in Words with Paul Lewis
Moderator: Prof. Daniel Chua, Department of Music, HKU
9 NOV 2019 | SAT | 6PM
Rehearsal Room, LG1/F, Run Run Shaw Tower, HKU
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
- For ages 12+
- Tickets at URBTIX starting 22 Aug 2019
- HKU Discounts: Students $50 | Staff 15% off (valid HKU student/staff card required upon purchase at URBTIX outlets and entry to venue)
- Be a MUSE members 10% off
- Full-time students, citizens aged 60 or above & people with disabilities 50% off
- Discounts cannot be combined
- Patrons under the age of 12 will not be admitted.
- LATECOMERS NOT ADMITTED UNTIL INTERMISSION – please plan to arrive early!
- Approximately 90 minutes with an intermission
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually.
- Programmes and artists subject to change