23 OCT 2022 | SUN | 7:30PM
HKU MUSE is delighted to present the Inaugural Concert of NOĒMA. The chamber choir NOĒMA, led by its Artistic Director and founder Sanders Lau, comprises some of Hong Kong’s finest choral musicians. The ensemble is dedicated to advancing the city’s choral scene through the pursuit of performing at an unprecedented level of artistic excellence.
In this debut programme, NOĒMA will perform works by iconic choral composers across the eras, including Bach, Pärt, Vaughan Williams, and Barber. It will also feature the world premiere of a commission written by local talent Adrian Wong. The concert title ‘Under the Pale of Mist’ is taken from the hauntingly beautiful poem ‘There are some men’ by Leonard Cohen. The famed Canadian poet’s near-existentialist words form the inspirational backbone of this programme, which features pieces that were selected according to subject matters presented in the poem, such as Mist, Fathers and Sons, Lovers, Time, and Silence, creating a non-linear narrative that acts as reflections upon the poem in a cohesive aura.
港大繆思樂季為大家介紹薈萃香港合唱精英的 NOĒMA，呈獻他們的創團音樂會。NOĒMA 由藝術總監劉卓熙創立，致力透過精進演出，為本地合唱發展帶來新可能。
KNUT NYSTEDT Immortal Bach
J.S. BACH Jesu, meine Freude, BWV 227
PHILIP GLASS There are some men
ADRIAN WONG Absalom (World Premiere)
ARVO PÄRT Which was the son of…
HUBERT PARRY There is an old belief
CHARLES VILLIERS STANFORD On Time
SAMUEL BARBER The Coolin
DOMINICK DIORIO I am
RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Silence and Music
BOB CHILCOTT Even such is time
SOPRANOS | Alison Lau, Tsz-ying Law, Wing-sum Chung, Winky Wong*, Angela Yiu, Rosella Tang
ALTOS | Ruth Lau, Margaret Sang, Carmen Bat, Heilam Tsui
TENORS | Justin Li, Carmel Tse, Freddie Tsang, Kenny Lam, Jason Li
BASSES | Caleb Woo, Felix Shuen, Wai-ki Wun, Yik-long Lau
* With the kind permission of Yat Po Singers
Sanders Lau, conductor
Felix Yeung, organ
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
- For ages 8+
- Tickets at art-mate.net starting 22 SEP
- Full-time students, citizens aged 60 or above & people with disabilities 50% off
For purchase of each concessionary ticket for people with disabilities, the customer can purchase one ticket at the same concessionary rate for a minder.
- HKU Student Discount: $50 (Student ID required upon purchase, maximum 2 tickets per transaction)
- With limited quota. Discounts cannot be combined
- Patrons under the age of 8 will not be admitted.
- The programme is approximately 2 hours with an intermission.
- The concert will start at 7:30PM. Please arrive on time. Guests arriving later than 7:40PM will miss Bach’s Jesu, meine Freude and be admitted only during intermission. Thank you for your attention.
- Please show the QR code in your ticket confirmation email for admission.
- The presenter reserves the right to make final decisions on seating arrangement.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.
- Except for exempted persons*, all concert-goers are required to use the “LeaveHomeSafe” app to scan the venue QR code before entering the venue.
- Please present an electronic version or a paper copy of your COVID-19 vaccination record for admission. For the latest vaccination requirements of the “Vaccine Pass”, please visit HKU’s COVID-19 Info Hub and the Government’s COVID-19 Thematic Website.
- A temperature check will be conducted upon entry. Anyone with fever or respiratory symptoms should seek medical advice and will not be admitted.
- Guests are required to wear masks throughout the event.
- Please use the disinfectant dispensers and always maintain social distancing.
- Due to social distancing requirements, some seats in the venue will be left empty. Please only take your assigned seat as stated on the ticket.
- The presenters reserve the right to deny entry or to require anyone to leave if, in their opinion, the above-mentioned instructions have not been observed, and reserve all rights of final arbitration in case of dispute.
* Persons aged below 12 or aged 65 or above and those with disabilities that render use of the app difficult. All exempted persons are required to register their names, their contact numbers, and the date and time of their visits. They are also required to present relevant identification documents for verification at the request of the staff on-site during registration.