28 MAY 2022 | SAT | 5:30PM
Olivier Messiaen’s 1944 Vingt regards sur l’Enfant-Jésus is a classic in the 20th-century piano solo repertoire. Cast in twenty contemplations on the infant Jesus, the epic set represents a perfect ground for understanding Messiaen’s compositional techniques. This lecture-demonstration will focus on the Thème de Dieu (Theme of God), one of the three distinctive themes around which Vingt regards sur l’Enfant-Jésus is constructed. Talented local young pianist Shelley Ng will lead audience into a glimpse of this tour-de-force against a background of the cycle’s indebtedness to numerology, Catholic symbolism, Indian and Greek rhythms, while exploring Messiaen’s idiosyncratic musical language.
MESSIAEN Vingt regards sur l’Enfant-Jésus
XI. Première Communion de la Vierge
XV. Le Baiser de l’Enfant
吳宇晴／鋼琴 Shelley Ng, piano
陳慶恩教授／主持 Prof. Chan Hing-yan, host
Lee Shau Kee Lecture Centre
The University of Hong Kong
$20 (admin fee)
- For ages 8+
- Tickets at art-mate.net
HKU Vaccine Pass*
Please present an electronic version or a paper copy of your COVID-19 vaccination record for admission. For the latest vaccination requirements of the “Vaccine Pass”, please visit HKU’s COVID-19 Info Hub.
* Exempted scenarios include: (1) Children under 5 years of age, (2) recovered persons previously infected with COVID-19 and within 6 months from recovery, or (3) persons with a certified medical exemption.
- Patrons under the age of 8 will not be admitted.
- Except for exempted persons**, all concert-goers are required to use the “LeaveHomeSafe” app to scan the venue QR code before entering HKU and the Grand Hall.
- The programme is approximately 1 hour without intermission.
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually. No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- Please show the QR code in your ticket confirmation email for admission.
- Due to social distancing requirements, some seats in the Grand Hall will be left empty. Please only take your assigned seat as stated on the ticket.
- A temperature check will be conducted upon entry. Anyone with fever or respiratory symptoms should seek medical advice and will not be admitted.
- Hand sanitising stations are available at the foyer.
- Guests are required to wear masks throughout the event.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.
- The presenter reserves the right to make final decisions on seating arrangement.
** Persons aged below 12 or aged 65 or above and those with disabilities that render use of the app difficult. All exempted persons are required to register their names, their contact numbers, and the date and time of their visits. They are also required to present relevant identification documents for verification at the request of the staff on-site during registration.