5 NOV 2023 | SUN | 3PM
The new Impromptu: Musical Musings with Friends series opens with a screening of Beethoven in Beijing, an insider-perspective documentary recalling the Philadelphia Orchestra’s historic tour to China in 1973, when classical music started to flourish in the country. The film shows the awakening in vivid stories from the people who lived it then, like the Chinese musicians who nervously greeted maestro Eugene Ormandy, and who live it today, like Oscar-winning composer Tan Dun, the orchestra’s current music director Yannick Nézet-Séguin, and renowned pianist Lang Lang.
The discussion that follows will feature the director of the film Jennifer Lin and maestro Lio Kuokman who served as Philadelphia Orchestra’s assistant conductor from 2014-2016. Hosted by Prof. Daniel Chua, they will recount this symbolic musical milestone 50 years ago and rethink the power of music in the modern world.
繆思樂季全新「漫興樂想」系列，由《貝多芬在北京》放映座談會揭序。紀錄片詳細介紹1973年美國費城交響樂團首度訪華，採訪了當年接待美國指揮家奧曼第的年輕中國音樂家們，以及其後雙方的文化交流。珍貴片段中不乏當今音樂大師的年輕身影，包括：榮獲奧斯卡最佳原創音樂的作曲家譚盾、費城交響樂團現任總監聶澤–賽金，以及斐聲國際的鋼琴家郎朗，讓大家一瞥西方古典音樂在中國的滋長。映後座談會由港大音樂系主任蔡寬量請來導演 Jennifer Lin和2014-16年度費城樂團助理指揮廖國敏，一同回顧50年前這歷史時刻，並反思音樂對現今社會的影響力。
Jennifer Lin, co-director, producer & writer
Lio Kuokman, assistant conductor 2014-2016, Philadelphia Orcherstra
Prof. Daniel Chua, host
- Patrons under the age of 10 will not be admitted.
- The programme is approximately 2 hours without intermission.
- Guests are advised to arrive punctually. No latecomers will be admitted until a suitable break in the programme.
- Programmes and artists are subject to change.
- The presenter reserves the right to make final decisions on seating arrangement, to deny entry, and reserve all rights of final arbitration in case of dispute.